Pages

Saturday, October 9, 2010

NYC: Rowing to Hoboken




There's only one thing better than running along the Hudson River, with its breathtaking views of the New Jersey skyline, and that is being on the Mighty Hudson, itself.  No, not swimming -- I haven't gotten my tetanus shots, yet.  Rowing -- the 300 mile river that flows through the heart of the state is both revered by pleasure boaters and respected by seafarers.


I've known the Hudson before. Ten years ago, the USS Clark  (FFG-11) navigated these great waters from the capital city of Albany enroute to the Erie Canal and the venerable Great Lakes.

The Great Lakes Cruise, a by-gone era recruiting trip, was the Navy's best kept secret and one of the best times of my life.

After the invigorating Inaugural Vimeo Festival, which turned out to be an all-out social media carnival and a credible 2-day film school I was ready to charge onto the respected River and meet and film rowers like me, pushing through the large swells and strong Manhattan current that in the past only muscle men would dare challenge.

On this particular trip, I was blessed to join an avid rowing group at Pier 40, sit in the back by the Coxswain and film to my heart's delight.

I've never crossed the Hudson to New Jersey before and definitely never made an interstate trip across the mighty River.   We definitely got more than we bargained for by visiting the jewel on the Hudson, Hoboken, the little town where baseball was born.


But on this day I definitely made a lot of friends from and around the Downtown Boathouse.

And yes, I'd rather be paddling (Stand-up), but once in a while, it's better to meet people and work as a team.



Now here was my lucky chance.  Cheers to NYC and Cheers to the Mighty Hudson ready to be rediscovered. Once a dirty river shunned by New Yorkers, you've definitely come back, and today, I've called your lovely name.

No comments:

Post a Comment